For those of you out of the know, I thought I would bring you back into the loop by relating a little tale:
A couple of weeks ago I was walking around, minding my own business—doing my own thing. I moved around like I always do: with the aid of my foot… and the darn thing just broke on me! Well, I didn’t know it broke at the time. In fact I didn’t really know what happened. I thought it would just go away, but it got worse and worse until one day… I made a visit to the trusty family practitioner. He pushed on it with glee while I tried to hide the tears rolling down my cheeks and said we should do some x-rays. After that he said I needed to see a podiatrist.
The following morning I visited a very nice man who earned a few letters at the end of his name a while back. While Marcio and I waited we could hear a little four-year-old girl in the room next to us crying loudly (I guess I should have been worried—lol). When the doctor got to me he took a turn poking and pushing. (I took a turn trying not to show weakness). He looked at the x-rays I brought with me and ordered some new ones which he decided to take himself. When we were all finished I got to go home with a boot and a prescription and an appointment to see him in two weeks for more x-rays and information. He said it looks like I have a stress fracture on two bones on the top part of my left foot—probably from walking improperly too much lately (I have been trying to exercise). Today, though, my foot feels way better to the point that I almost feel like a faker, but I know how bad it was to begin with. I find out on Tuesday what the new prognosis is.
I have to say, I am very grateful for medical technology. It isn’t fun going through all of it, but then I think about my life. If I had been born even a century earlier than I was (which isn’t that much when you think about how old the world is) I wouldn’t have been born, and my mother may have died trying to birth me. Had I been born, I also would probably have lost my son and maybe my own life when he was born. Without ultrasound technology, which wasn’t even available as recently as when I was born, my daughter would have surely died during delivery. I have dealt with doctors who care a lot but don’t seem to know a lot and doctors who seem to know a lot but also seem that they could care less. I have been in an emergency room and believed I was dying and left there alone for almost two hours in that condition. But with all of that, I have seen miracles in my lifetime that I know weren't there for previous generations and in some parts of the world are still not accessible to some people. The good comes with the not so great, I guess. I am grateful, however, that I live in this country at this time and I am able to see a doctor when I want to without putting in a request or getting approval. Heavenly Father has been good to me to let me live where I live when I live here. For that I am eternally grateful.
-Ginger




1 comment:
Wow! Sorry about your foot being broken! That's cruddy! I hope it heals quick! Yes, I too am grateful for medical technology! It is quite an amazing thing! Even though there are plenty of terrible doctors out there, there are lots of good ones too! I'm sure thankful for those ones! Heal quick! ;-)
Post a Comment