Sunday, March 30, 2008

"Where's Your's Jackets, Penkins?"

I know I should probably be writing about my husband's grandmother arriving from Brazil yesterday or all of the preparations we have been making for her coming. Perhaps I should tell of all the things that have happened in the last month that have occupied most of my time or caused the most interruption, but instead I want to focus on all of the wonderfully small and whimsical things that have made my time as a mother beautiful this last month; things like pumpkin seeds and pink dresses and penguins.
I woke up this morning a little early, while the house was at its quietest and the world was just beginning to be bathed in the soft gray, pre-dawn light of morning. I sipped at a glass of water and looked through my kitchen window when something in the windowsill caught my eye. Two little leafs peaking out of a paper cup. I had only thought of that cup once or twice since I put it there a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know anything was really growing inside it. I looked closer and realized that, sure enough, a tiny pumpkin plant has begun to take root and sprout up. Caio planted the seed in nursery at church. He was so proud and excited when he carried it out of the class and handed it to me. He was so ready for a big hug and lots of kisses too. He has gotten old enough and confident enough that he isn't afraid of going to nursery alone anymore. When he sees that we are getting closer to the room he starts pulling us toward the door and calling out "Want Toys!!" with much anticipation. It warms my heart so much when I get to be the one who picks him up after church because he is always excited to see me. His nursery teachers are wonderful and he is always bringing home little projects that he has colored or pasted at church. Looking at that tiny pumpkin plant beginning to grow reminds me of my little boy in a very poignant and symbolic way. It reminds me that he is growing up--that he isn't my baby any more. I never understood why that kind of thing would make some mothers so emotional... Until now.
Caio has been showing signs of compassion over the last few weeks and I feel a sense of relief seeing the beginning of those kinds of feelings in him. I used to wonder how you teach a child compassion and empathy and when you start and whether I would fail with my children. Then we checked out the movie March of the Penguins from the library and watched it as a family. C.J. loved the movie and started asking for "penkins" every day. It just so happens that he has a couple of penguin toys and a "Tux" the penguin stuffed animal. One day, he and I got sick and had to lay down the whole day, so I told him he could watch whatever movies he wanted to. He chose "penkins" and I put it in. He grabbed Tux and started whispering in his ear to look at the penguins on the screen and was telling him which ones he thought were mommies and which he thought were daddies. At one point I had left to change Baby Girl's diaper when Caio ran in and frantically called me back to the television. "Loke! Loke, Mommy!" he cried, "It's cold!" I looked at the on-screen blizzard and agreed that it did look cold. I could tell that baby boy was worried and he ran up to the screen, concern written all over his face, and he began calling out, "Where's Your's Jackets, Penkins? Where's Your's Jackets, Penkins?!?!?" He turned and looked at his own stuffed animal and informed me that Tux was missing pants and diapers. He began running around the house in search of penguin sized pants and diapers. When he gave up a few minutes later he hugged his penguin closer and kept him warm with his own body heat.
Just two days ago I was nursing Jordan when I heard Caio crying and whimpering. He came into the bedroom where we were and looked so sad. I asked him what was wrong, but he just kept sniffling and whimpering without a word. "Did you get hurt? Do you need kisses better?" I asked. He just stood there looking at me while he wept quietly. I decided he needed his mommy right then and so I unlatched Jordan and put her down. She began to fuss and voice her displeasure and Caio immediately stopped crying and looked alarmed. I reached to scoop him up in my arms when he began protesting, "No, Mommy! Baby nurse, Mommy! Baby turn nurse, Mommy! Please, Mommy! Please baby turn nurse Mommy!" I was surprised to see this reaction and I said, "I think Mommy needs to hug Caio first and give kisses." It pleased me to see the love and concern that he showed for his sister. He is such a good boy.
Speaking of Jordan: she giggles all of the time. She is wonderful. I was going through her clothes on Friday and sorting them by sizes. I found a pretty pink dress and turned to show it to her. "You can wear this one when you are about six months old," I stated. Suddenly she looked up at me and pulled her arms up next to her cheeks and squealed in delight. It was so funny and cute and right on cue that I could have sworn she new exactly what I had said and was expressing her girlish delight at the prospect of wearing such a beautiful outfit. I decided to show her the next one too. "Oh, Look!" I held it up, "This one is for six months too!" She again broke out an ear to ear grin and pulled her arms up tight and squealed. I smiled so big. I have never been big on girly things and the color pink, but I found myself excited to be showing my baby girl all of the pink things she would get to wear in the coming months. I pulled another one out and looked at the tag. "O my!" I smiled at her, "you can wear this one next month!!!" This time she pulled her arms in again and let out the loudest and happiest squeal yet (even she looked surprised after she did it). I laughed so hard I got tears in my eyes. I am so happy to be a mom to a girl.
Well I can hear people waking up. I think Baby Girl will need her breakfast soon. Thanks for reading.
Goodbye :-)

3 comments:

Renato S. said...

c'mon....post more....please....

Renato S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renato S. said...

I think Perkins already found his jacket a very long time ago.... :) ... please post more!!!